1st State Meeting for 2021 :: 1-11-2021
The date has been changed for the first meeting of 2021 to Sunday, February 14, 2021, 11:00 AM. The location will be: Field Sweet School, 8540 Root Rd., North Ridgeville, OH 44039. Baseballs will be available at this meeting, so please make sure to complete and submit your charter's baseball order form.
2021 Baseball Order Form :: 1-11-2021
For 2021, all teams must use Hot Stove Logo Baseballs for all games. The order form is now available on the Forms page and must be completed and submitted no later than February 7, 2021. For questions, please contact Patty Vasi, email@example.com.
2021 Background Checks :: 1-8-2021
OHSBL has worked with NCSI to migrate to their new platform. Each charter has a unique link to complete their respective background checks. Charters are asked to publish the new links and let coaches know about the change. Background checks are required for all coaches and personnel that are assisting at games or practices. The system is a self-pay, cost of $20 and background checks are good for 2 seasons.
RULE INTERPRETATION - Courtesy Runner in Continuous Batting Order :: 3-8-2020
The following interpretation has been made by Lou Vasi, OHSBL Rules Interpreter: When a courtesy runner is to be used for the catcher by a team using a continuous batting order, the last recorded out is the player designated as the runner. In the event the first batter of the game requires a courtesy runner, the last person listed in the batting order is considered to be the player to be used.
2020 Rule Book Now Online! :: 1-17-2020
The 2020 Ohio Hot Stove Rule Book has now been posted online!
2020 Rule Changes :: 10-13-2019
The following rule changes were voted on by all Charters at the October 13, 2019 Annual Meeting:
1. Continuous Batting Order - Allow all teams to use a continuous batting order if they choose to do so. Would have to declare at ground rules. If a player is injured during the game they would become an out when it is their turn at bat. This would be for all Hot Stove Classes HH-D. Class I would still be mandated to use the existing rule. The EH would still be an option as well. All players present at the game would have to be used in the batting order. If a player arrives late, they would have to be added to the bottom of the lineup. This would give teams that choose to use it, the ability to get more players in the game. This rule would be used in both regular season and tournament play. Substitution rules must still be met by class while using a continuous batting order. Player matching would not be permitted for teams opting to use a continuous batting order. This rule change has passed.
2. Change 60% Rule - Change the rule that states a double rostered player must play in 60% of played games to at least 50%. The existing rule excludes players that play in over half a teamís games, but often times calculates to 57-58%. The spirit of the rule is to eliminate stacking up a team for tournaments but often a player that played a majority of games cannot play because of the math. This would still ensure the player participates in a majority of the teamís played games and is eligible for tournament play. This rule change has passed.
In addition, the following items will be discussed at the meeting:
1. Elimination of the need to appeal a red light if verification of offenses can satisfy the board that previous appeal(s) has addressed the matter(s) driving the red light status. If an applicant receives a red light and successfully appeals to be allowed to coach, then that successful appeal will follow that applicant every year, provided the red light is given for the same offense(s). Applicant would still be required to email the Executive Secretary to be allowed to coach. Any new offenses would require a complete appeal process. This constitutional change has passed.
Lindsayís Law: Sudden Cardiac Arrest in Youth Athletes :: 12-31-2017
All OHSBL Managers, Coaches and umpires must comply with this law that goes into effect in 2017.
In accordance with this law, the Ohio Department of Health, the Ohio Department of Education, the Ohio High School Athletic Association, the Ohio Chapter of the American College of Cardiology and other stakeholders jointly developed guidelines and other relevant materials to inform and educate students and youth athletes participating in or desiring to participate in an athletic activity, their parents, and their coaches about the nature and warning signs of sudden cardiac arrest.
For more information, please visit Lindsayís Law: Sudden Cardiac Arrest in Youth Athletes
State of Ohio Concussion to play Law :: 02-19-2013
All OHSBL Managers, Coaches and umpires must comply with this law that goes into effect April 26, 2013!!
Use this site to get your free certification. NHFS Free Concussion Course
- Click on the button that says, please login to order. In the window that appears , click to register.
- When your registration is complete you may "order" the free concussion course offered along the left hand side of the page. Continue following prompts. Although it may look like you'll be charged for the course, there is no cost.
- Once you've completed "checkout," you'll be able to take the free online course and print a compliance certificate.
If you want additional information on this law go to Healthy Ohio :: Concussion in Youth Sports: Ohio's Return-to-Play Law